Sunday, February 24, 2008

Father of the Bride (1991)


Love is wonderful. Until it happens to your only daughter.

Father of the bride (1991) is a remake of the original one which came in 1950 and I saw this movie yesterday. The movie starts with the father facing the camera and telling us about his relationship with her daughter…it was nothing more than a typical relationship between any father-daughter relationship under the sun, but it was his way of narrating it that hooked me to watch the movie…and he takes us to the story of their lives 6 months back…

The daughter returns back home after her studies in Rome and on the dinner-table one night, she breaks the news of her being engaged to a guy, showing her folks the engagement ring…the father almost imagines her daughter being a 5 year old and saying the same lines to him!!! The mother seems to be the happiest mom ever, but on the other hand, the father is almost dead with the shock…and there starts the dilemma of his life!

For last 22 years, he’s been a hero for her daughter and realizes he’s being replaced by a guy who is just 6 months old in her daughter’s life… Though he’s convinced soon, but the events that take place in his life in next few months teach him a lot, and by the end of it, he is mentally prepared for everything.

As the story advances, it reminds me of my father, more and more every second…I can’t express in words how I was putting him, my husband and myself in the story constantly…the most touching scene was when the wedding begins…I almost saw my father holding my hand and taking me inside the church, to leave me standing next to my groom…as if he were giving away the biggest part of his heart to someone who is a stranger for him…I could successfully manage to wipe my tears before my husband could see’em…


I am sure Dad was there when I got married witnessing everything, just like my best person, but I just wish I could see him with these eyes, when he gave me away to Adarsh!



Sweety

0 other zodiacs scribbled: